[TriLUG] NICe kNowledge to have...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 8 14:07:08 EDT 2001

On Saturday 08 September 2001 22:07, Tom Bryan wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 10:27 pm, you wrote:
> >  - Buy an el cheapo firewall like a linksys box  ($120) and plug your
> > cable connection straight into it, then you pull you network off of
> > that.  Run wild and free behind this and then don't worry, be happy.
>
> What "linksys box" are you talking about?  I hit the linksys website and
> wasn't sure which product you meant.  Since my NFS server is probably
> going to be the one with the cable modem attached to it, I wouldn't mind
> having an additional step before the outside reaches that box.
>
> Thanks,
> ---Tom

The BEFSR11 (or the BEFSR41 with 4 ports instead of one, if you don't have
a hub and need more than one machine hooked to your network).

The name is "EtherFast 1-Port Cable/DSL Router".  It's a NAT firewall that
handles up to 253 people behind it.  We use them at our remote locations,
and we also give them away to any employee that has broadband access at
their home (so come work for HAHT!).

They are wonderful little devices, and have really made my job of securing
our remote sites much easier.

Jon