[TriLUG] Lost Partition Table!

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 10 03:24:35 EDT 2001

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> (...)
> > > http://www.esiea.fr/public_html/Christophe.GRENIER/
>
> >i downloaded it, untarred it, did "make linux" and it worked fine --
> >identified all of the partitions on my box.
>
> >so there's your solution.  do i get my beer now? :-)
>
> >rday
>
> Well, if you cand send me the program and identifies my mess....errr... hard
> disk partitions, you bet!
>
> Seriously,
>
> I would appreciate if you could send me the compiled binary (how big is it?).

i'll email you that stuff off-list, both a static and dynamic linked
version.

> And some hints on how to recreate the partition table. I know that it means
> using fdisk. But... how? How do I interpret the results in a way that I can
> translate this to fdisk-friendly stuff?

the output is fairly straight-forward, a list of (alleged) partitions,
their types and offsets.  the great thing about messing around inside
fdisk is that, if you've already lost the partition table, setting up
new partitions, even if they're wrong, can't hurt anything.  just
use fdisk to establish a new partition table entry, then try and mount
it.  if it fails, then it obviously wasn't a valid partition.

repeat until complete.

rday

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

Microsoft:  Committed to putting the "backward" into "backward compatibility."