[TriLUG] Email sending problem....

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Sep 10 14:56:16 EDT 2001

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney [alchemist at darkcanvas.com] wrote:
> Argh. I can't seem to send mail to sourceforge. Anyone know where in
> my sendmail/mutt setup I might be setting things wrong?
>
> AFAIK, the only place I can't send to is sourceforge. *sigh*

I'd say it's in sendmail.  I'm not sure where, though.  Perhaps
something about refusing null MAIL FROM: fields?  When I try this
on my system:
telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fiend.enoch.org ESMTP Postfix
MAIL FROM: <>
250 Ok

I suppose that's the expected behavior.  IE, they're looking to
get a '250 Ok' when they issue the "MAIL FROM: <>" command.

When I telnet to sendmail on your box:
 telnet midgard.darkcanvas.com 25
Trying 66.45.6.19...
Connected to midgard.darkcanvas.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 midgard.darkcanvas.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.8.7; Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:47:44 -0400
MAIL FROM: <>
554 buildaddr: no host

It's gotta be some spam rules somewhere.  I imagine that your sendmail
is trying to resolve the sending host, and is barfing when it gets an
empty host field in the MAIL FROM line.  Check and see if you have
reverse resolving on?  Also, check your maillog to see that error
sendmail gives when you issue the empty MAIL FROM.

Might I suggest a Postfix upgrade? ;)

Mike
--
Never trust a man who puts anything other than a finger up his nose. - _Snatch_