[TriLUG] OT: What really scares me about this terrorist situation

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Wed Sep 12 01:32:23 EDT 2001

* On 2001-09-12 at 01:21,
  Rev. Christian J Hedemark <chris at yonderway.com> excited the electrons to say:

> Also I believe there needs to be more security to the cockpit.  Once the
> pilots are in the cockpit, a secure door should lock.  No matter what the
> terrorists do in the passenger compartment, the pilots should get the plane
> immediately into airspace where ground damage can be kept to a minimum (like
> over water or a rural area).  Once the terrorist pull their weapons it is a
> given everyone on board is going to die.

I do not think that will work.  Fine, make the flight deck impervious.
Then the perps will just start shooting pax, one every ten seconds,
until the door is unlocked.  I think it would take a hardened ICBM-rated
missileer to be able to stand up to that kind of situation.

I think your last sentence is not true-to-history.  I believe that
the vast majority of visibly-armed hijackings do *not* end
with the loss of all lives aboard.
--
#ken	P-)}