[TriLUG] X-config question

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 12 22:30:23 EDT 2001

I've just obtained a new Thinkpad T23 and installed Mandrake
8.  Somewhere in the setup process...I think I told the
XF86 setup that the resolution is higher than the LCD can
provide...but the video chipset can do it (for an external
monitor).  The result is a virtual screen that is bigger
than the display.  Needless to say, I'm having a hard time
even reading the config files (try working at the command
line when you can't see the bottom 10 lines).

I configured Mandrake to start in console (not X) mode, but
it seems to be initalizing the graphics driver to a higher
resolution (I can't see all of the Mandrake splash screen)
anyway.

I see lots of mode listings in /etc/X11/XF86Config, but
can't seem to find where the mode is actually selected.

Help!

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill