[TriLUG] X-config question

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Thu Sep 13 08:28:24 EDT 2001

Chris Merrill [cmerrill at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel. I tried it but it didn't help...now I see
> that it seems to be getting into a 'larger than the screen'
> video mode even before I start X.  The Mandrake splash screen
> that occurs during boot seems to be affected...I boot
> to a console prompt (rather than X) and the problem exists
> at that point.  Maybe I've got the wrong video driver?

It sounds like they used the console framebuffer.  If you have
grub as your bootloader, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and look for
any vga= entries in the kernel lines.  If you're using lilo,
look for vga= lines in /etc/lilo.conf.  Most likely you'll
need to change these lines.

The format is documented in Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt in
the kernel source, you should be able to get at it here:

  http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/fb/vesafb.txt.html

You will probably need to reduce the number according to the
charts in that web URL, and re-run `lilo` if you're using
lilo, to change the settings.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/