[TriLUG] vmware cures insomnia

James Manning jmm at computer.org
Fri Sep 14 10:23:15 EDT 2001

[Andrew C. Oliver]
> I was either so inspired by Kevin's speech or so driven by insomnia that
> I went and upgraded from vmware 2.x to the 3.0 beta.  (which apparenly
> will expire on the 16th).
>
> Now its possible that it picked up my previous vmon/vnet etc but I don't
> think so because it copied them to /tmp before recompiling.  I
> recognized what was flashing by me..  It appears as though Vmware has
> bundled the czech stuff with the beta.  So you don't have to download it
> anymore.  What does this mean?  Well ever try to download something from
> a .cz domain?  Its not the fastest thing in the world.

The .cz stuff was a third-party hack of support for 2.4.[67].  It was
never related to VMware's own development efforts on 3.0 which were
going to support those (and later) kernels natively.

IOW, the .cz stuff is totally irrelevant to vmware 3.x installations.
--
James Manning <jmm at computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4