[TriLUG] VMWare pricing

Rev. Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Sep 14 14:54:04 EDT 2001

Chris Merrill writes:
> Maybe I'm the only one...but I think $300 is quite reasonable
> pricing.  At less than $1/day over a year, the time it saves
> me in rebooting (in a dual-boot configuration) is well
> worth the price.  If you prefer the dual machine option, the
> expense of maintaining another piece of hardware (backups,
> desk space, etc) must also considered -- in addition to the
> cost of the hardware.

Chris, in a commercial development shop, where VC funding abounds and it is
likely that your customers will in turn pay obscene pricing for software, it
makes sense.

For the private user, there are so many useful packages in the $300 range
that it is not feasable using commercially licensed software to set up your
PC and remain legal WRT licensing.

I miss the days when companies like this had seperate pricing for "non
commercial use" that was more in the reasonable ballpark for home users
(say, $50 or so).

Reverend Christian J Hedemark II
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com
"Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin