[TriLUG] Trilug website updates?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 20:26:32 EDT 2001

First off, let me say, please send any comments about the webpage or the
library to the list as was done here or to me at webmaster at trilug.org or
librarian at trilug.org.  I really do want to hear what people think and
any suggestions are ALWAYS welcome.  There is a reason for quite a bit
of the following.  It is that I have been working on redesigning the
entire trilug.org website to use a PHP/MySQL backend and I haven't
finished it yet.  It will be much easier to keep up to date and will
hopefully help keep everyone more informed of what we are doing as a
group.  Let me now address each particular question.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Tom Bryan wrote:

> I was looking for information on the Security and the Windows & Linux talks
> (don't we make the content of the talks available online?).  I'm not sure who
> is updating the main website http://www.trilug.org/, but some of the
> information is out of date or confusing.

The Windows & Linux talk will be made available by Kevin.  I have the
information on the Security talk and I must say that it is my error that
it has not been made available yet.  Expect that to be remedied soon.

> On sponsors.html
> "Barnes and Noble has agreed to give TriLUG members a 20% discount on all
> O'Reilly and Associates books at their Cary, Raleigh and Durham locations."

I was under the impression that this was still active for quite some
time.  It does appear as if the benefits page needs to be completely
redone.

> On topics.html
> There's no mention of whether these are past topics, future topics, or
> suggested future topics.

I actually don't like the topics page at all.  I want to get rid of it
and put something else in its place that is somewhat more useful.

> On communication.html:
> Isn't there a new list for discussing the installs at the charter school and
> such?  It isn't mentioned.

The educate subcommittee (which includes the mailing list is mentioned
under last month's activities on Aug. 10.  These are being redesigned
into a seperate sub-committee's section.

> On events.html:
> The last items are from almost a year ago.  I'm not sure whether that's a bad
> thing, but it makes the LUG (or at least the web site) look rather inactive.

Unfortunately, we haven't had a true event in some time, save the
installfests which have their own section.  The CPCHS school events
might should be listed there, but originally that was only talked about
on the educate list and not specifically for the whole group.  However,
that method of announcement is likely to change where events are better
publicized on the website.

> The FAQ:
> This document doesn't appear to have been updated for over a year.  It
> mentions quarterly installfests, but installfest.html onlys lists one back in
> May.  Section 3 of the FAQ still points to the old lyris interfaces.

I can't say that I have ever looked at the FAQ.  Now that I am looking
at it, It definitely needs to be redone.

> I also couldn't find the booklist, which I thought someone said was now
> online on a static page.

That was me :)  It is not visible yet as I am finishing up some last
minute additions.  Look for it to be available later this weekend and it
will be mentioned on the front page :)

Bill