[TriLUG] Any vendors selling RH Linux laptops?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 26 22:22:19 EDT 2001

Tom Bryan wrote:
> I thought that Dell used to, and I found a page on their site that
> implies that they do, but Linux was not an OS option on the "configure
> and purchase" pages.

They used to support RH on the C600.  They dropped support for it about
two months ago - just before I was ready to buy :(

> I need a good development machine (>= 512MB of RAM, speedy processor)
> since I'll probably be running Oracle on the laptop. :)

I also wanted >512M...but I only found a few models that can handle it.
The IBM T23 can handle 1G RAM (only on some configurations, though...I
think you have to get the PIII-M processor).  I'm running Mandrake 8
on it with pretty good success, so far.  I consider Mandrake to be
RedHat++...I don't know if that's close enough for you.

There are a few other models that can handle 1G RAM...I think there
was a Compaq and an HP in the bunch.  If you search for my name in
?alt.comp.sys.laptops?, you might be able to find the replies from
a few people who suggested 1G laptops when i was searching about 4-6
weeks ago.

Good luck!

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com