[TriLUG] help resizing an ext2 filesystem

Donald Ball balld at webslingerZ.com
Mon Oct 1 17:14:55 EDT 2001

hey guys, i'm trying to resize an ext2 filesystem and i need some help
first. i'm trying to draw out the plan on paper before i actually do any
changes since i don't have a backup device handy.

1. fdisk reports that:

hda1 - 65992 blocks
hda5 - 1048792 blocks
hda6 - 13553536 blocks

but df -k reports:

hda1 - 63893 blocks
hda5 - 1032056 blocks
hda6 - 13038830 blocks

why the disagreement in the size of the filesystems? i'm confused.

2. my plan is to resize hda6 down so that i can create a nicely sized hda7
and move the data from hda6 that i want to retain onto hda7. then i would
like to nuke the rest of the drive and construct something like this:

hda1 - 4G - win32
hda2 - 64M - /boot
hda3 - 512M - swap
hda4 - extended
hda5 - 4G - /usr
hda6 - 4G - /home (previously created hda7)

is this a sane approach?

3. in doing this, i will need to destroy my current hda2 extended
partition and create a new hda4 extended partition with a different start
cylinder. is this going to cause problems for the hda7 partition that will
have lived under hda2, so long as i remember the start and end cylinders
and don't reformat that partition?

- donald