[TriLUG] stollen computer

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Wed Oct 3 14:24:11 EDT 2001

                    Barry Evans
                    <baevans at cisc        To:     trilug at trilug.org
                    o.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [TriLUG] stollen computer
                    trilug-admin@
                    trilug.org

                    10/03/01
                    02:03 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    trilug

> Certainly hacking your *own* computer can't be a crime so definitely
> unleash anything you can to get useful information.  I don't believe you
> ever said if it was a linux or pc box.  I'd look for documents in the
hopes
> he wrote a paper for work or school that might allow you to find
> him.  Email, webbrowser caches should be pulled down & combed for clues.
> Remember windoze programs like BackOriffice that go so far as capturing
> keystroke and even audiostreams if a mic is present...

That's probably a good idea. But, he might want to talk to the FBI first,
just to make sure
he follows whatever protocols are necessary to make sure any collected
evidence will stand up in court.

It would be a shame to let whoever did this get away with it, on some
technicality.

TTYL,

Phil