[TriLUG] surveillance

Celestian kuk at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 3 15:16:41 EDT 2001

  I thank everyone for their advice on where to go next and I just wanted
to let you know how far I plan to go as far as surveillance goes.

  For now I plan on monitoring my dynamic dns service for changes in the
IP address and recording the information.  I will also check to see if I
can access my webpage to verify that the IP address I record is from my
computer.

  I am guessing that accessing a web page is in the public domain and
can't be construed as intrusion.  Given I wrote the page myself and my
original intent was for others to view it.  It proves to me that the
machine is mine.

  I will be able to prove without a doubt that the machine is mine when it
is recovered since it is a DELL.  I will be able to look up the service
tag number and show that the computer was paid for by my credit card and
shipped to my dorm room at chapel hill.

  I would like to recover some data that I lost via FTP while I can, but I
don't want to give them an out in case there is a trial.  I have tons of
software that I wrote from school and for businesses as a
consultant.  Hell, I would gladly pay them more than the computer is worth
to just send me the hard drive.

  Eric