[TriLUG] Subjects for "Kernel 101"

acoliver acoliver at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 10:45:28 EDT 2001

Hi all,

Here is a tentative agenda for Thursday's discussion.  Please forward any
suggestions on anything I haven't thought to cover that you believe should
be.

I will be demoing the kernel compile.

Tentative agenda:

0. complete history of the kernel...abridged
1. Why compile your own kernel
   1a its not very hard.
2. Where to get your kernel
3. backing existing kernel up before you start
   3a. /boot directory
   3b. a brief moment of silence for those who use a distribution
       puts the kernel in the / 'root' directory
4. preparation for compilation
5. menuconfig, oldconfig, config, xconfig
   5a. .config file
6. modules
   6a. what you probably should/shouldn't compile as a module
7. why I don't use menuconfig anymore
8. common problems
9. compiling (nap time)
10. mkinitrd
    10a why you probably should rethink your config if you need this
11. installing
12. lilo/lilo.confing
13. booting or recovering

What probably won't be covered:
1. upgrading from (2.0/2.2) -> 2.4 (though if anyone wants to share they're
welcome...I always wait for the distros to come out before attempting this)
2. more than basic optimization

Special thanks to Jon who graciously agreed to let me hose...er..ah use his
laptop for this.

Thoughts?  Questions?  Suggestions?

-Andy