[TriLUG] [TriLUG-Announce] Kernels! (no, not popcorn)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Oct 8 11:40:30 EDT 2001

This month, TriLUG is talking kernels!  No, not those little bits of
unpopped popcorn that you find at the bottom of your bag of popcorn.
We're talking about the bit of code at the very core of your Linux
system.  It's the program upon which Linux based operating systems
are built.

The Linux kernel was released with these words:
 	Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating
  	system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for
  	386(486) AT clones...

  	I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any
  	suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

  	- Linus Torvalds; Posting to comp.os.minix; 25 Aug. 1991.

Due to its importance, TriLUG likes to have a presentation each year
dedicated to the Linux kernel (or, to be honest, it's the presentation
that we try and throw together when we forget that we haven't made
arrangements for the next meeting).  Nonetheless, kernel discussions
are for the new users and the long haired, bearded veterans alike.

So, on Thursday, October 11 at 7:00pm, Andrew Oliver will be giving
a "Kernel 101" presentation.  He'll talk about getting a kernel,
patching it for those kewl leet0 mods, compiling, and installing
your creation.  He's also promised to throw a curve or two!

Please come out and join us at our regular location at Dreyfus
Auditorium.  Directions can be found at:
http://www.trilug.org/directions.html

Pizza and drinks will be provided for free, and there will be giveaways,
for sure.  But don't expect popcorn!

Mike
--
Never trust a man who puts anything other than a finger up his nose. - _Snatch_