[TriLUG] Sawfish and RH 7.1

jeremyp at pobox.com jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 8 14:31:24 EDT 2001

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Jon Carnes wrote:
> >
> > Can you not go to run level 3 and install the source from
> > command line?
>
> I don't autostart X, so sure -- that's not a problem.
> The issue with that comes from not knowing wth conflicts
> will exist between RH's file locations from the RPM
> and those from the raw source installation.  And, of
> course, what effect there might be on the gnome-core
> package..

Ken,

I don't know much about the workings of Gnome and Sawfish, but it seems
that you could example the source RPMs for the RedHat packages... look at
the .spec file and see how they build them.  Then, build your own RPM with
the updated source, to take advantage of the management that the RPM
database provides.   If it doesn't work, you can always downgrade to RH's
RPM to make things work again. :)

RPM is a great tool and it's not too hard to build your own packages and
use source RPMs... maybe RPM is a possible talk topic for the future?
I'm not volunteering though.  :)

A great resource for RPMs built by the various distributions is
www.rpmfind.net.  I've found that the Mandrake versions are usually more
up to date, and their source RPMS generally work fine with my various RH
systems using --rebuild to resolve library differences.

Regards,
Jeremy