[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 16 03:23:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

[...]
> In the long run, it will always be easier to maintain
> a package if you use a package management system period full stop.

True, but sometimes admins like to install things separately to avoid a
bit of pollution, like Debian's philosophy of /usr/local. Granted, I
apt-get -b source foo the majority of the time anyhow unless it's
something ridiculously large like Mozilla...

[...]
> This sort of reminds me of the arguments of why people
> should comment code.  If you want any sort of chance
> of remembering what a particular piece of code did
> after putting it away for a long period of time (which
> can sometimes mean just days..) you'd better comment it.

"Comment? Bah!" <-- my response as a lazy student :>
"Why doesn't Andrea comment all this new vm mess in 2.4.10+?" <-- my
response in sifting through source. Point taken. :)

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key: www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc