[TriLUG] Deb vs. RPM (was Icecast.conf and debian)

Andrew Perrin aperrin at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 16 07:55:34 EDT 2001

The short answer is: yes, deb like rpm has a source package solution. I
generally don't use it in this situation, though, because I'm concerned
about "polluting" my system with packages from different release
levels; if I build from source, I can install in /usr/local, guaranteeing
that the install is in a separate place from package installs.

Frankly, I'm not sure I really grasp the value of source packages. The
tarball solution is awfully well standardized by now, to the point where I
generally don't even have to read the instructions, just untar, configure,
make, make install. less INSTALL is usually just for when I manage to
break something :)

ap

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin at unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA