[TriLUG] (Favorite) network diagramming tool?

Rev. Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Oct 16 21:05:07 EDT 2001

Dr. Kowalski,
> Do you have any suggestions for (or what's your favorite) network
> diagramming tool?

I'm going to get glared at (or worse) for saying this, but I haven't seen
anything in the Linux community yet that lives up to Visio.  Unfortunately
Microsoft now owns Visio but thankfully it became a good product on its own
before Microsoft bought them out.  As you might expect, it is not available
on Linux.

I've got Visio Technical and find it to be "the tool" to use when I document
network infrastructures or propose changes.  It will also export diagrams to
JPG format so when you send out diagrams the recipients don't need to have
Visio or any other proprietary software to read the diagrams.

There are some open source projects trying to bring this sort of
functionality to Linux but everything I've seen is pretty early along in
development and not conducive to getting the job done yet.