[TriLUG] Problems with WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux

Joseph C. Tuttle tuttle at webster.campbell.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:39:45 EDT 2001

Hello,

I've got RedHat 7.1, without updates, loaded and working, so I went to install
WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux.  The last time I installed this was on an
old RedHat 5.2 machine, and the performance was pretty bad, so I ended up
not using it.  I figured with a new, souped-up 7.1 machine, it might actually
be usable.

I got three error messages during the install, and was hoping for some
suggestions.  I know library incompatibilities have come up on the list before,
but I didn't pay that much attention.  I can't very well search the archives right
now because my only Internet connection is moving so slowly, connections
time out more often than not.

First error:  failed dependencies: libncurses.so.4 is needed by wine-wpo2000-
glibc-2.1-2000.03.13.12.01-1

Second error:  file /etc/init.d from install of fonttastic-glibc-2.1-
2000.03.13.12.01-1 conflicts with file from package chkconfig-1.2.22-1

Third error:  sh: /etc/rc.d/init.d/fontastic: No such file or directory

I've checked, and understand that I have libncurses.so.5.  Would creating a
symbolic link from libncurses.so.4 to the .5 version solve the first error,
without causing problems?

I've looked briefly at the files in the chkconfig rpm, and compared them to the
fonttastic rpm files, and they do overlap.  Would it work if I forced the
fonttastic rpm, or would that end up breaking chkconfig, or causing other
unwanted trouble?

I realize the third error is directly related to the second error.

The install actually completed, but when I try to open WordPerfect, or
Quattro Pro (the only apps I've tried), I get an error message about the
missing fonttastic, and the app won't open.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe
tuttle at webster.campbell.edu