[TriLUG] The new Sonney in town!

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Sat Oct 20 17:01:47 EDT 2001

>> "Hello World" in Befunge:

>> >v"Hello world!"0<
>> ,:
>> ^_25*,@
>>

>> Ok, that looks like they took the WORST features from each of:  C++,
>> Java, and Perl, mixed them up with a dash of Eiffel, a sprinkling of
>> Modula-3, and some wart of frog, and called it "Befunge."

> Oh, no, it's much more than that.  It's an N-dimensional stack-based
> language, so execution is not just linear left to right.  The program
> begins at the 'v' on the first line (pointing down), then moves
> execution to the left "<", and so on.

Incredibly, I had actually heard of Befunge before.  I didn't know that
much about it though. Nor do I recall
where or why I had read anything about it.  I'm thinking I must have seen
it mentioned in a /. article or something.

> It's one of the scaries things I'd ever seen, until I went to
> http://purists.org/esoteric/ and found a ton of other freaky ones.
> (Check out Java2k, I was crying I was laughing so hard...)

I'll definitely check that out!

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson