[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 22 21:57:02 EDT 2001

On Monday 22 October 2001 14:27, Rev. Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> rday writes:
> >   just to make sure i'm not missing anything, it seems that the
> > least expensive version of red hat 7.2 you can get has a shelf
> > price of about $59, is this right?  looks like the days of $29
> > boxed sets are history.  sigh.
>
> If any Red Hat marketing folks are lurking here, some clarification would
> be appreciated.  I always download first to see if it is worth running.
> When I see good stable versions with enough new compelling features I
> usually buy the $30 box set, not because I have to, but because it seems
> to me the right thing to do to further development of the product.  If
> the lowest price box set is indeed ~$59 now I don't know if I will be
> doing that anymore.

I don't think $60 is too bad.  I won't buy it personally, but I'll still
buy an official copy for the company!  We always do.

If there are any Red Hat marketing lurkers I think that RH ought to come
out with some companion guides.  El cheapo ($5 to $20) booklets that cover
one or more aspects of using linux in a business or technical environment.
Like extended White papers.

 -Securing your server/Secure Networking
 -Setting up DNS for your company or just your home
 -Integration with a windows network
 -Setting up your server as a Print server
 -RPM's revealed: a guide for the common man
 -Setting up a mailserver for home or corporation
 -Turning your server into a load-balancer (and virtual server)
 -Basic Firewalling for everyone - a must have book
 -Advanced firewalling
 -Setting up a VPN or private network

These should be just like the how-to's but written specifically for RedHat,
and priced cheap enough that they become must-have items.

This type of easily accessable, specific documentation will allow RedHat to
seize the market share of corporate linux installs.  Just seeing the books
on the shelf will help admins make the leap to Linux as a replacement for
their pricey alternatives.

Yes, I know that few of my fellow TriLUGers would purchase such books, but
I would have most of those on my book shelf at work, and I would pass them
around to others as a handy reference.

Maybe I should go into the publishing business...

Take care - Jon