[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 27 01:33:05 EDT 2001

OK, The Newsweek issue is Oct.29,2001, and there is actually a pretty nice
picture of Linus Torvalds on page 68H. It is actually a series of articles,
the first one starting on p.68C, entitled "Software Pirates, Beware" which
discusses the piracy of Microsoft products esp. in eastern Europe and the
orient. Another related article which follows ( and which has Linus' picture
on it!)  is entitled "The Real Question Isn't Moral: Roundtable: Three
Industry Analysts wonder if Microsoft's war against software piracy is in
the company's own best interests. Is it fighting the last war?" Esp.
interesting is this question which is posed--"So is Microsoft fighting the
last war?" [with this response] "This battle may have made sense in a
monopoly environment. But there is a new model now--give away the basic
operating system and sell value-added services--and that's only one." And
this leads to a discussion of Linux and China, and Microsoft's high prices
which are forcing countries like China and other third world countries to
choose Linux!!
Bon Appetit!! At the very least you have a nice picture of Linus almost big
enough to frame and hang next to your Linux machine. Linus has a sort of
smirk on his face which is really neat!---AL