[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Mon Oct 29 08:45:03 EST 2001

Sounds like a PNP modem with hardware control.  That's the main difference
between a WinModem and a real one.  The Winmodem doesn't have the onboard
hardware to handle communications, it relies on the software to control the
TX/RX and flow control for the modem.

One of the problems with PCI modems is that your OS has to "assign" the IRQ
for the port and the I/O address for it.  As we all know, PCI1 was not that
stable in this arena, and was really only good for video and some NIC's.
PCI2 was supposed to handle this better and with PNP BIOS's it was supposed
to leave the slot assignments in NVRAM so at next boot they would be the
same.

I don't know if Linux addresses this, so I don't know if a PNP PCI "non-Win"
modem is possible, or if it would be supported under Linux.  The kernel
guru's out there will have to answer that question.