[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 30 01:36:15 EST 2001

To help fill you in. I installed Mandrake 7.2 and it installed my ISA modem
perfectly. When I tried to upgrade to Mandrake 8.0 it didn't install my ISA
modem. I detected a problem with my motherboard and had Intrex replace it
for me (it was under warranty). Problem is that there are very few
motherboards which even have an ISA port now--only PCI's are available. So
the guys at Intrex suggested I try this new PCI modem which says it works on
DOS and Windows and Linux. Anything that works on DOS alone just about has
to be real modem (as opposed to a "winmodem"--there is no windows software
in DOS!). So now I have a new motherboard, which has a PCI modem (which
claims to support LINUX), and an onboard sound card (which I just know is
going to be a problem as well). But at least the new motherboard isn't
crashing all the time at the worst possible moment.
I've got drawer in my computer so I can put in and remove harddrives to
switch from the Microsoft world to Linux. The ISA modem worked perfectly and
it was easy to set up my ISP connection. I tried all the Mandrake programs
on 8.0, including HardDrake, etc. with no luck.
So I'm in the process of reloading my Mandrake system, especially since my
hardware has changed (upgraded my Video card as well to a Matrox g450 (not
precisely sure about model no., but it was reviewed in Linux Format magazine
(a great Linux magazine--If anyone knows any other local source for this
magazine which comes with great CD's every month, I'd love to hear about it.
The only place I've found is Borders in Cary but it really sells out
quickly!! Anybody found it anywhere else?? I would subscribe to it, but
after doing the British Pound conversion realized that it was just as cheap
to pick it up from Borders (which also protects the disks they put on the
magazine). --Al