[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Tue Oct 30 09:50:01 EST 2001

On Monday 29 October 2001 11:32 pm, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> I think that anaconda is too similar to a Windows program. Even Microsot
> Windows installer (at least on Win98) was "different" from a Windows
> program.
>
> Mandrake installer is different from Windows programs. It gives the "feel"
> to a novice Linux user that Lnux it is very different from WIndows... yet
> it is easy, flexible, powerfull and easy. And it's fresh.

To my mind, it is good to present a novice user that is familiar with Windows
an interface that looks familiar.  That doesn't mean that we make the
installer look just like Windows, but it does mean that we follow some kind
of commonly accepted guidelines for user interfaces.  We aren't trying to
re-write the book on user interface design.

Also, it seems better to me if the installer has the same look and feel as
the rest of the operating system.  This makes it seem like a complete product
instead of seeming like the installer and the default desktop settings were
done by two different people that never talked to each other.

Conectiva does a good job at this kind of integration.  They have a
background image in the installer.  That same background image is the default
desktop background.  They applied a consistent look and feel to the entire
product.

> So, it is nothing a "technical" thing.
>
> Well, almost. I like Mandrake installer because it supports a far greater
> number of "minor" languages. Including mine  *grin*

Yes, we need to improve in this area.  It's hard because most of the
installer developers are in Durham, and our mastery of foreign languages is a
little rough.  ;)

Brent