[TriLUG] New Dell Server

Fred Stutzman stutzman at email.unc.edu
Tue Oct 30 11:28:16 EST 2001

To set the hostname, specify the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network.  The
format should be HOSTNAME=your.hostname.dot.com.  In addition, set the
hostname in /etc/hosts, so there isn't issues with X.  You'll need to make
these changes, restart your network, and log out and back in again.

However, if this is not an option, you can reset the hostname in runtime
by editing /proc/sys/kernel/hostname.

Fred