[TriLUG] simple grub question

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue Oct 30 14:55:16 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 10:20:55AM -0500, rpjday spoke thusly:
>   before i start pawing thru the docs, can anyone explain how
> grub handles multiple linux configurations?  as in, since you don't
> have a command like "lilo" to rerun, how does grub know which of
> possibly numerous linuxes to read the /boot/grub/grub.conf from?

When it's installed, you specify a root like so :

grub> root (hd0,0) [1]

And it writes that info to the MBR. So, when it goes lookngi for the
config file it will look for it on

(hd0,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf [2]

grub then reads this file, and pick everything else up frm it. Should
something bad happen, like the menu file ges away, you'll be presented
with a bare-bones grub prompt [3]

see /usr/share/doc/grub-x.x.x/ for details....

Notes :
[1] That's drive 0, partition 0
[2] menu.lst is the default name, redhat named theirs grub.conf because
it makes more sense - there's a command line switch to fix that, but I
just use a symlink when I need to reinstall grub
[3] Which is really cool.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001