[TriLUG] ___ at mindspring.com____

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 30 21:16:22 EST 2001

Nope, Barnes & Noble doesn't carry it, which is a shame since I have one of
their 10% discount cards. The ISA problem strangely didn't seem to be a
problem at all for Mandrake 7.1--it just installed the ISA modem
automatically. However, Mandrake 8.0--didn't even recognize it??? Now I have
another problem--no ISA slots in my new motherboard, only PCI slots. I have
a PCI modem that allegedly supports Linux (says so on the box and they have
a Linux exe file to install it available online for downloading). Wish me
luck. Modems (even Winmodems!!) can be installed on Linux. For those who
want yet some more info about installing modems on Linux, there used to be a
section of www.linux.about.com devoted just to how to install all sorts of
modems on Linux. Some of it is pretty deep (esp. the Winmodems) for any
beginners, which as luck would have it are the very ones who need the
information. One final note: www.lockergnome.com (the home of several great
newsletters about Windows and technology in general) is accepting
subscribers for their new free (all of them are free) LINUX newsletter!! Go
to the site listed and hunt for the Linux newsletter sign-up link if you're
interested. I haven't received my first newsletter yet, but if its quality
is anything like the other three newsletters they produce, it should be
super. These guys are very independent and like to tell the facts regardless
of who it hurts (lately they have been attacking XP!!).