[TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Wed Oct 31 09:14:28 EST 2001

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 04:22 am, Daniel T. Chen wrote:
> AFAICT my Thinkpad 600E's 10/100 Etherjet cardbus adapter was
> "detected" but not installed (meaning confs were not modified). When I
> booted up a fresh install of 7.2 none of my networking was installed,
> which surprises me since traditionally it works on desktops (and yes, I
> did choose the laptop option in setup).

Hmm...that should have worked.  So you gave it settings in the networking
screen, and they just didn't take effect?  But /etc/modules.conf was set up
correctly, right?

> I have an inkling that I need to modify the start and kill scripts for
> pcmcia and networking manually, since Mandrake 8.1 does set up the
> Etherjet correctly and does initialize things in the correct sequence on
> boot.

--snip--

> As a side note since X 4 eventually will support all the display devices
> that 3.3.x does, I do like Mandrake's option to install 3.3.6 or
> 4.1.0. Guess I'll bug Mike Harris about that. ;)

Anaconda uses the Cards database from XConfigurator.  In that database, there
is a flag that tells Anaconda if the card is supported by X 4 or not.  If
not, then it installs X 3.3.6, so it usually does the right thing.  Maybe on
a custom install, we should make the option explicit.

--snip--

> > We are working to address this issue.  There is a difference between
> > being up-to-date and being bleeding edge.  We want to provide stable,
> > reliable updates, not just the latest stuff pulled from CVS.  If you want
> > to run the nightly builds of KDE and Mozilla, then that's up to you.
>
> Doesn't rawhide address this?

I haven't used Cooker, but I have a feeling that perhaps it is more stable
than the stuff from Rawhide.  Depending where we are in a development cycle,
things in Rawhide may be pretty stable (near the end) or horribly broken (at
the beginning).  Perhaps Cooker is more of a rolling release kind of thing,
but I can't say for sure.

--snip--

> No, thank you! [Please fix the aggravating "initialize networking before
> pcmcia" thing for laptop users! =)]

This has bugged me for a long time too.  I brought it up to Erik and he
explained why it had to be this way, but I don't remember what the reason
was.  I'll bring this up again, because I can't see why we can't startup
pcmcia devices before Ethernet devices...at least with a Laptop class
installation.

Brent