Redhat Installer & Mandrake Installer was Re: [TriLUG] different versions of 7.2 for sale]

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 20:36:20 EST 2001

Well 8.0 detected my Ensonic sound card (which was a plug-in card and not
manufactured on the motherboard) and played some music after installation!!
It also asked for the name and model of my printer and printed out a test
sheet, however, it still lacks some needed printer tools, such as
alignment,etc. (which to be fair may only be available from the printer's
manufacturer!!). In any case, it really does have excellent hardware
detection software in its loader. And I don't understand why every
distribution doesn't have excellent hardware detection software. This sort
of software has been around for years. Every card has ROM info that
identifies that card, and ditto for a lot of other items. I can understand
why it needs the name of monitor and printer, although I've even seen some
software able to read that info as well (but only in the Windows world---but
then I'm a LINUX newbie!!! :-)