[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Thu Nov 1 09:05:28 EST 2001

On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:00 am, Matt Jezorek wrote:
> He trashed  both OS'es hummm wonder if he used bugzilla =)

No, he didn't use Bugzilla.  Or rather, he refused to.  We sent a few emails
back and forth and determined that he had a bad cd.  On VC4, the kernel was
spewing all kinds of messages about bad sectors on the cdrom.  But he had the
retail version, so I found the error to be strange.  Not that the production
house doesn't make mistakes, but that seemed odd.

I have seen at least two other bugs similar to his (with retail cds), and
both of them turned out to be hardware related.  One guy swapped his cdrom
drive out, and the problem went away.  Another guy ran MemTest86 on his
machine and found that he had bad ram.  Swapping the ram fixed the problem.

It seems that when cdrom drives fail, they start by behaving strangely...the
don't just fail altogether.  Windows ran fine on the machine with bad ram,
though.  It seems like the kernel is less tolerant of faulty ram than Windows
(I don't know that for a fact, but it seems that way).

Anyway, I took a box set from work and did a full install on it to make sure
the cd's were good.  I offered to send him a tested set of discs to make sure
that bad media wasn't the problem, but he said that he wasn't interested in
pursuing it any further.

His hardware is identical to my box at work, so there's no reason it
shouldn't work.  He seemed like a nice guy, but he didn't care much about
solving the problem.

Brent