[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:02:46 EST 2001

I'd guess, yes, he did try both. While I haven't tried either of them (nor
do I care to, thank you very much), his description of being forbidden to
override the XP's wisdom in device drivers rings true; I've encountered
Windows' attempts to browbeat me into doing things its way (rather annoying
after I'd TRIED doing it their way). That they no longer attempt to browbeat
you into doing things their way, and that they now offer you no choice,
seems very plausible to me.

As for his woes installing RH7.2 ... been there, done that. I've had no end
of crappy installs just like what he describes - frozen systems, CDs that
won't boot, installations that dump core, you name it. Currently I'm in love
with my Mandrake 8.0 system. Why? Because it was an install that worked the
first time I tried it. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I think the author's complaints were valid and well taken. In the case of
RH7.2, he raises a couple of points that I harp on all the time (just ask
anyone who knows me for the bloody bore I can be on the subject <g>) about
software in general: IF YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, DON'T APOLOGIZE, ***FIX
IT***, and THE INSTALLATION IS THE USER'S INTRODUCTION TO YOUR PRODUCT. HAS
NO ONE EVER TOLD YOU ABOUT 'FIRST IMPRESSIONS'?!