[TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Thu Nov 1 14:28:55 EST 2001

                    Donald Ball
                    <balld at websli        To:     <trilug at trilug.org>
                    ngerz.com>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2
                    trilug-admin@
                    trilug.org

                    11/01/01
                    01:47 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    trilug

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Brent Fox wrote:

> > I have seen at least two other bugs similar to his (with retail cds),
and
> > both of them turned out to be hardware related.  One guy swapped his
cdrom
> > drive out, and the problem went away.  Another guy ran MemTest86 on his
> > machine and found that he had bad ram.  Swapping the ram fixed the
problem.

> you should also make the installer be able to save state to some media
> (floppy? root partition?) as it goes so that if it _does_ die, when the
> user starts the install again, they can pick up where they left off
> (except for maybe that last step). nothing's worse than retyping pages
and
> pages of data, especially if you were unsure of the answers to begin
with.

+1.

No, wait.... +2.  No, better yet, +4.

Awww, heck...

+999999999

This is one feature I would ABSOLUTELY love to see implemented.  Situations
where the installer dies are the main reason I was asking about the ability
to save package selection ( among other things ) the other day.  In
particular, I've spent 20 minutes before, doing package selection, then had
the install fail, and then had to spend another 20 minutes doing that same
package selection crap, before I could get going again.

In all fairness, what was using SuSE, but the point is the same, regardless
of the distro.  The ability of the installer to save state somehow, can be
a HUGE help, if the install dies mid-way through.

Please, please, please, implement this, if it isn't already there!

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson