[TriLUG] proFTPD *newbie* question

Henryk M. Kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Thu Nov 1 14:33:09 EST 2001

I'm sure this is *really* basic but I've had no luck finding the answer so far...

I've set up proFTPD 1.2.2 on a Mandrake 8.1 machine, using the default config.

I'm trying to setup an account for a user to be able to initiate an FTP session and upload some files.
I would prefer to not have to create a shell account for this purpose, since this user will not need to login for any other reason.
I can set it up to work fine with a shell login account but when I've tried a setup analogous to the "ftp" user (no shell specified in /etc/passwd)
I cannot establish an ftp session.

Where can I find some docs on this topic?

Thanks,
Henry