[TriLUG] proFTPD *newbie* question

Haim Dimermanas dudle at linuxroot.org
Thu Nov 1 15:41:43 EST 2001

Henryk,

 http://www.proftpd.org/docs/configuration.html#AuthUserFile

 AuthUserFile

Syntax: AuthUserFile path
Default: None
Context: server config,<VirtualHost>, <Global>
Module: mod_unixpw
Compatibility: 1.0.3/1.1.1 and later

AuthUserFile specifies an alternate passwd file, having the same format as
the system /etc/passwd file, and if specified is used during authentication
and user lookups for directory/access control operations. The path argument
should be the full path to the specified file. AuthUserFile can be
configured on a per-VirtualHost basis, so that virtual FTP servers can each
have their own authentication database (most often used in conjunction with
AuthGroupFile).

Note that this file need not reside inside a chroot()ed directory structure
for Anonymous or DefaultRoot logins, as it is held open for the duration of
client connections.

	Haim.

"Henryk M. Kowalski" wrote:

> I'm sure this is *really* basic but I've had no luck finding the answer so far...
>
> I've set up proFTPD 1.2.2 on a Mandrake 8.1 machine, using the default config.
>
> I'm trying to setup an account for a user to be able to initiate an FTP session and upload some files.
> I would prefer to not have to create a shell account for this purpose, since this user will not need to login for any other reason.
> I can set it up to work fine with a shell login account but when I've tried a setup analogous to the "ftp" user (no shell specified in /etc/passwd)
> I cannot establish an ftp session.
>
> Where can I find some docs on this topic?
>
> Thanks,
> Henry

http://dudle.linuxroot.org
use Debian;