Red Hat servers (was Re: [TriLUG] Fw: WinXP vs RH 7.2)

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 2 16:22:17 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:44:32AM -0500, jeremyp at pobox.com wrote:

> You can also get the updates off the main ftp servers at
> ftp.redhat.com.  They seem to be pretty well load-balanced, and work much
> better than updates.redhat.com.
>
> That said, I've gotten fastest downloads from the Duke LUG mirror, which
> is open to anyone:
> 	http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/mirror/

Unfortunately it's not up to date.  And ftp.redhat.com is currently not
beating 6K/sec.  Annoying on a line that can do 150K/sec+.

Hmm.  Pinging ftp.redhat.com is showing loss:
62 packets transmitted, 44 packets received, 29% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/mdev = 215.175/255.978/307.510/15.481 ms

Am I just lucky here, or is everyone seeing this?

--Brian

--

Anything you can imagine (and many things you can't),
someone on the net is doing.

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net