[TriLUG] sharing kernel source trees?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Nov 4 09:42:50 EST 2001

OK here's a good one :

I have several machines here at the house :
moltress, a PPro 200 and my firewall
eevee, a DEC Multia Alpha
pikachu, a P3 600
snorlax, a Toshiba techra 8000

Now, at the moment, if I want to update them all to the latest kernel,
I download the source onto moltress, untar it on all four systems, and
do the make tasks.

I'm wondering, though, is it possible to use a shared source tree and
a symlink to .config for all of these systems?

Say I do this :

on moltress, I create an NFS Mount to /usr/local/kernel
I untar the kernel source there
I then symlink /usr/local/kernel/.config to /etc/kernel-config

On each of the machines, I create /etc/kernel-config with each
system's configuration

I then mount the kernel tree and run "make oldconfig dep bzImage
modules" for each system (*NOT* simultaneously!!)

Has anyone done this? Good idea/bad idea?

Anyone have any good ways of doing automatic kernel builds on multiple
systems?

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist at darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001