[TriLUG] Audio (CD Ripping) docs?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Nov 4 09:37:33 EST 2001

On Sunday 04 November 2001 06:06 am, you wrote:
> A Dissabte 03 Novembre 2001 09:51 am, vàreu escriure:

> So what's the problem?
>
> Do you need to play mp3 files and you do not know how?
>
> Use XMMS  or FreeAmp. Sure they come with your Linux CD. Or you can get
> them at their websites xmms.org and freeamp.org

Ick.  I started xmms on my desktop, and (at my resolution) the GUI is
unusable.  I guess it's supposed to look like a sleek, black stereo.  Since I
use KDE, I ended up using KDE Media Player (Noatun).  Nice, simple GUI with
obvious buttons and a standard menubar.

> Do you want to make mp3 files (ripping)?
>
> Try abcde, bladeencoder , grip.... There are many:

Thanks.  I'm using cdparanoia since I already had it installed.  From the
discussion of ripping -> .wav -> .mp3 for a good trade-off of quality vs.
size, I realized why I might want .mp3 (especially after seeing the size of
the .wav files cdparanoia generated).

Of course, my next question is going to be "How do I burn a custom audio CD
so that I can mix tracks from various CDs and play it on a normal CD player?"
 I haven't seen much about that topic.  Most of the docs are about getting
the files onto a computer, not in creating audio CDs.

---Tom