[TriLUG] eclipse

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Nov 5 22:07:10 EST 2001

Phil responds:
> To be honest, Chris, I'm not sure exactly what there is to discuss.  I
read
> the IBM press release, and I really don't see anything new in there.  The
> Eclipse project itself isn't new, I'm not sure how long it's been around,
> but it's not like they just created this yesterday.

Ahhh.  First I've heard of it.  Maybe it is like a "grand re-opening" to try
to get all those people like me who missed the first round of hype (or
forgot it).  ;-)

> Anyway, I've played with Websphere Studio Workbench, and I like it a lot.
> I've heard that this platform is where IBM is going, in terms of replacing
> VisualAge.  And I think it's a major improvement.  I like the fact that
you
> can "plug-in" many different environments, and have one IDE for C++, Java,
> VoiceXML, Rexx, Ada, Smalltalk, Perl, Lisp, COBOL, Pascal, Fortran, JSP,
> PHP, SQL, Algol-68, Simula, SNOBOL, Befunge, or whatever....  And as
> compared to VisualAge for Java, I like the Eclipse stuff a lot better
> because it's more file based.

I'm gonna have to play with this.  Right now I've got Komodo from Active
State and it is still very rough, IMHO.

> Oh, and it has built in support for accessing
> a CVS repository.

Quite significant for an afterthought, though.  :-)

Thanks for your comments.

Chris