[TriLUG] THURS: Free Software's Eben Moglen @ UNC

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 6 04:06:51 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> Is he speaking at TriLUG or is there another time that TriLUG is sponsoring?

apparently, there is some confusion regarding the talk(s) by dr. eben
moglen.  let me try to clarify, since i spent quite a bit of time
early on organizing one of his upcoming talks.

first, yes, to the best of my knowledge, there is a regular trilug
meeting this thursday -- this has nothing whatever to do with
prof. moglen.  in fact, he will be giving his first public talk
at UNC while the trilug meeting is going on over at dreyfus.

dr. moglen's *second* public talk, which will be on the subject
of free software, will be the evening of monday, nov 12 at the
NC school of science and math -- that's the one i helped put
together.  this talk, like his thursday talk at UNC, is open to
the public.

this second talk is officially co-sponsored by trilug and nc*sa.
that being the case, it's really gripes my wagger that there is
absolutely *no* mention of this on trilug's home web page.  if
you check out nc*sa (www.ncsysadmin.org), PR for moglen's talk
is right there, front and center -- abstract, bio, directions
and so on.

and at www.trilug.org?  squat.  absolutely nothing.  not on
the main page.  not under "meetings".  not under "events".
nowhere.

the moral?  if you really want to know what's happening, better
check out www.ncsysadmin.org.   they, at least, appear to have
their act together.

rday