[TriLUG] recommendations for mounting NTFS shares under Linux

Geoffrey Douglas Purdy gdpurdy at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:31:34 EST 2001

Following up on my last post, I have run into the "soft disconnect"
problem in a number of instances.  On several of the Linux servers, the connection
to the W2K share would be dropped after a short period of inactivity (~20
min.).  I think this may be an artefact of how those particular boxes
are connected to the main network.

As Mike suggested, autofs seems to be the solution.  I 've set the
timeout in /etc/auto.master to 5 min to be sure the directory is unmounted
by the linux box before the connection is dropped by the W2K server.

The following "Using automount and Samba" page was a helpful addition to
the sparse autofs man page:
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/automount.htm

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Geoff