[TriLUG] gates and ballmer on open source

Sinner from the Prairy sinner_prairy at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:32:13 EST 2001

>From: Paul Jones <pjones at metalab.unc.edu>

>From the Microsoft stockholders meeting.
>http://www.microsoft.com/msft/speech/smeet/shareholdermeeting01.htm
>During question time, a wise questioner asks:

>QUESTION: It appears to me that the open source movement is gaining
>momentum, and as I understand it the key to success of a software product
>involves efficiently building an ecosystem of developers and users,
>resellers, and so forth. Doesn't the open source model a more efficient
>paradigm for building such a community around your products, and isn't
>perhaps Microsoft maybe on the wrong side of that trend of long-term?

>MR. GATES: Let me start out, really the reason that you see open source
>bla bla bla

>MR. BALLMER: I just want to add one thing, echo what Bill said, but
>bla bla bla

[*]

After all, we all know that Bill Gates invented internet, built the first PC
  at Ballmer's garage, has a son named Linus T. Gates and is married to
Jenniffer Lopez, not necessarily in this order.

So why should we be amazed by the answers?

Salut,
Sinner

[*]:  you can use some <irony> tags here and there