[TriLUG] Newbie Question

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 09:45:04 EST 2001

Justin Johnson said:
> Ok, maybe I wasn't clear in what I'm after. I was more after  the specific
> linux command
> that sets this up or executes it. I.E., I'm sitting at my computer and I
> want to run an application that I know is sitting on another computer
> elsewhere on the network.

AFAIK, for most X apps, there is no special setting...it's inherently part
of XWindows.  If you have a Linux installation up and running with
XWindows, you are probably ready go to.

This is the way I start up an app on another machine with the GUI on my
machine:
- Login via some shell to the remote machine (we use SSH here, exclusively)
  This implies that I have an account on the remote machine...
- Run the program
Magically, the app starts up on the remote machine...and the GUI on mine.

That's it!

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com