[TriLUG] News Flash

Marc Johnson marc_johnson27591 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:42:40 EST 2001

>From: "P. L. Charles Fischer" <fischer at pop3.zedec.com>
>
>In a surprise announcement today President Bush stated that the United
>States was pulling out of Afghanistan.  In his speech Mr. Bush points out
>that the current recession is putting a financial burden on the country,
>and
>we are just not getting enough bang for the buck by going after the
>Taliban.
>On condition of anonymity a White House spokeswoman said that the
>President,
>just thinks that the money going to the Afghan campaign could be better
>used
>for a corporate tax incentive, so we can get America back to work.

LOL

>This may be an absurd comparison with the Microsoft case, but I do not
>think
>that bang for the buck should play a part in criminal prosecutions.  As for
>the states finances, if we can afford to prosecute consenting adults for
>cohabiting, and pass a blatantly unconstitutional  ten commandants law
>(that
>will lead to very expensive law suites) then we should be able to afford to
>pursue a penalty for a convicted Microsoft.

No, it shouldn't play a part ... but it does. And as for going after
prosecuting consenting adults for cohabitation ... the state attorney
general's office has been doing that? I hadn't heard. As for passing the ten
commandments law, I was talking about the attorney general, not our idiot
legislature. Mr. Cooper can't pass laws. He may be required to enforce them,
but the fact is ... he cannot afford to go after every violation of every
state law. He just doesn't have the resources to do so. He has to pick his
fights, and, yes, he picks them with an eye on how effectively he's using
his resources. Bang for the buck. Doing the most good with what he has to
work with.

>Sorry for ranting on about the role of government, but the government must
>do its basic job of protecting the individuals of this society.

No apology necessary, and I'm not disagreeing with the fight against
Microsoft. I just think, politically speaking, it ain't gonna happen.

If we really want to fight Microsoft, we need to continue to work towards
producing a viable alternative to their garbage OS. Linux is close ... but
not close enough yet.