[TriLUG] even more interesting

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 10 01:27:15 EST 2001

And the funny thing was that IBM let their PC die because they were making
MORE money doing something else. Commodore died because they were forced to
manufacture more computers and disk drives than any company had ever had to
do. The thing that killed them was a single ship of defective disk drives
from asia. As a result they took an enormous hit AND they didn't have enough
drives to satisfy demand. Then later they built too many C-64's and drives
and flooded the market which forced down the price so low they couldn't make
a profit. They did create a wonderful computer called the Amiga which BYTE
magazine claimed was far superior to the Macintosh. It had stereo sound
(first computer to have it), and many innovations that were ahead of its
time (one I really liked was its ability to read text files outloud).
Actually Microsoft's earlier OS's were in some ways more powerful than any
of those today. For example you used to be able to automate Windows 3.1 to
perform repetitive tasks, but Gates in his stupidity removed that from later
editions!!  To de-automate a computer system has got to be the stupidest
thing anyone has ever done to any PC. You used to be able to press a button
on an icon and then make all sorts of complicated mouse movements (open
programs, etc.) and then press it again and have a program which would do
the same thing again whenever you pressed a button. You can of course do
this with non-Microsoft programs, but they won't work with all applications,
like a system program would!!!