[TriLUG] Re: XBox

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Nov 15 14:26:04 EST 2001

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Chris Merrill spoke thusly:
>
>>I must be missing something here...what, exactly, would be the point
>>of putting Linux on an XBox (besides "because it's there")??  Could
>>you still run the games on it?  What else would you use it for?
>>Does it have DSP hardware on it that could make it useful as a
>>TiVo, for instance?
>
> Builtin Ethernet, NVidea chipset, P3 CPU, 8 G harddrive, 4USB
> ports. I'm not sure on the RAM, but I'd hahve to bet on at least 64M,
> because of the games.

I don't have one, but I've read that the USB ports are non-standard.
No idea *how* non-standard, but supposedly the jacks are not plug-
compatible...  So thats not very helpful.  :-(  Anyone know more
info on this?

> It's basically, if hackable, a $300 computer capable of doing
> anything a desktop can do, only it uses TV Out.

Ok, so you'd have a PIII that can only display to a lousy low-res TV

screen and the only port that you could communicate over (in a standard

way, AFAIK) would be ethernet.  So with Linux, the xbox would only be
useful as a...  webserver?

A $300 webserver is sorta cool...  I guess...

Ed

BTW - Someone is offering the domain xboxlinux.com to the first person
       to port linux to it.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher    |  Emails:   <ed at eh3.com>, <ehill at mines.edu>