[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.1 installation--Part TWO--the problems! accordingtoLockergnome's Penguin Shell

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Nov 15 23:41:40 EST 2001

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> You can select automount form start only if yous elect expert install.
> But it is not worth it. Too many troubles. I installed and, aftera
> week, I unistalled.

Actually, automount and supermount, I believe, are two different
things.  Automount uses the automount daemon to automatically
mount the cd (and other things, like nfs) when needed and after
a certain amount of time has passed with no activity (60 seconds,
I believe is what Mandrake normally sets) it will unmount it.
The main problem with it is that I normally want to eject a cd
right after using it.  Instead, if I use automount, I have to
wait an entire minute (an eternity, of course... :-).

Supermount, on the other hand, is a kernel patch.  Supermount
allows you to mount the filesystem with a special type (the
supermount type).  Using parameters, you pass what kind of
filesystem it actually is (i.e. iso9660) and whenever you try
to access that filesystem, it will automatically mount it.
The nice thing is that if there are no files open, and you
want to, say, eject the cd, it will automatically unmount
it on demand.  This basically mirrors how windows (uh-oh,
the MS word...) handles cds.  You put it in, you use it,
and then you eject it.  You never have to worry about
"is this mounted or not?"  IMHO, this is how it should be.. :-)

Bona Nit,

Tanner

P.S. Sinner, ?De que` part de Catalunya ve'ns?
(I apologize in advance if the Catalan is messed up.
Sol parlo una mica de catala`. :-)
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

  History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
  of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
  endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989