[TriLUG] PPPoE for DSL under Suse 7 Pro

Dr. Richard W. Tibbs rtibbs at ipass.net
Mon Nov 19 10:30:33 EST 2001

Hello.
I have a Suse 7. Pro installation and everything works fine
(monitor, X, disks, modem) except my (2) Linksys 10/100TX ethernet is
difficult to set up with PPPOE.
I have successfully installed the tulip modules and interfaces
eth0 and eth1 are up. I would like to make eth1 work over my DSL
connection (Bellsouth). Bellsouth's
"support" for linux amounts to some flaky scripts that don't work.
Having exhausted the how-to's globally on PPPOE, and having paid good
money for the Suse Press book
"The Suse Linux Network", I haven't been able to bring up pppoe.  Their
flagship scripts "adsl-start" etc. aren't even on my system. (Grrr.)
Has anyone done this with Bellsouth's DSL service? I have an Alcatel
SPeed-touch DSL modem (ethernet interface -- everything works fine from
a Win2K box).
Thanks in advance!