[TriLUG] Kernel module config Question

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 19 06:08:04 EST 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> >From: rpjday <rpjday at mindspring.com>
>
> > > Let's say I want to include a new module on my kernel. I run "make
> > > oldconfig" , I edit the .config file, I uncomment the line "#
> > > YOUR_DEVICE_GOES_HERE is not set" and changed it to
> > > "YOUR_DEVICE_GOES_HERE=m".
>
> > > Should I recompile the kernel? Or just running "make module && make
> > > modules_install" will work?
>
> >i'm not sure if this was already obvious, but you should run
> >"make dep" first, at least from everything i've seen.
>
> Yes, I know. And backup .configure + make mrproper is also adviced. This is
> clear. But, again, do I need a new Kernel (bzImage file) + modify LiLo/Grub
> + Reboot ? Will make modules && make modules_install will just do the trick
> ??

i'm pretty sure this won't require a new kernel -- just changing the
.config file, and running "make dep" should do it.  but a short note
about "make mrproper" is in order.

as most people know, make mrproper does a complete source tree
cleaning, including removing the current .config file, so it's a good
idea to back that up.  but in addition, make mrproper removes a
small number of include files, like autoconf.h

what this implies is that, if you do make mrproper, it's not enough
to just restore the .config file.  you still have to do one of
make config, or make menuconfig, or make xconfig, or make oldconfig,
to restore the deleted header files.  try it and see.

anyway, you don't have to be that drastic.  just changing the
config file, and going forward from make dep should be sufficient.

rday